Local Government Brexit Bulletin (29th October 2019)
– 29 October 2019
Welcome to the Brexit Bulletin – providing an update on recent developments relevant to councils.
Formal agreement to extension
As you will have seen, the EU27 has agreed that it will accept the UK’s request for a Brexit extension until 31 January 2020. As a result, Operation Yellowhammer has been formally instructed to stand down.
It remains that if the Withdrawal Agreement is not ratified by UK and EU Parliaments then the default position would be for the UK to leave without a deal on 31 January.
Parliament is to vote on the Early Parliamentary General Election Bill later today.
Guidance and Information
- The Department for Education has published Brexit guidance for EU students studying in the UK. Details: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/brexit-guidance-for-eu-students-in-the-uk
- Student finance guidance for students studying or planning to study in the EU has been updated with information for the 2019 to 2020 academic year. Details: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/student-finance-arrangements-in-a-no-deal-scenario
- Guidance on how international trade mark registrations will change after Brexit has been issued. Details: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/changes-to-international-trade-mark-registrations-after-brexit
Home Office EUSS Teleconferences
The Home Office is running a series of teleconferences for front line staff who support Looked After Children and care leavers to provide further information about the EU Settlement Scheme. They will take place on the following dates:
- 19 November 2019 – 1200-1300
- 18 December 2019 – 1200-1300
- 21 January 2020 – 1200-1300
- 18 February 2020 – 1200-1300
- 24 March 2020 – 1200-1300
Please email [email protected] to book a place.
- HMRC is running webinars that will provide an overview of what UK businesses need to do to keep importing and exporting goods between the UK and EU. Please find further information here: https://register.gotowebinar.com/rt/6556129852233668609?source=Sep-HMRC-Comms-GOV
- HMRC is running webinars on Transitional Simplified Procedures (TSPs). The webinar will cover the procedures, how to register, import declarations, import value of goods and if duties are payable. Please find further information here: https://register.gotowebinar.com/rt/7103030235439356417?source=Oct-HMRC-GOV
- New guidance on accessing CHIEF for TSPs has been published. Details: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/get-access-to-chief-for-transitional-simplified-procedures
- HMRC is running webinars on completing customs import declarations. Please find further information here: https://register.gotowebinar.com/rt/3070096351886115842?source=Oct-HMRC-GOV